Precision, toughness and innovation
History of a legend
In the early 1950s, the IWC caliber 8521 - which gave birth to the first Engineer
- was at the pinnacle of modern watch making technology. The name ‘engineer’ recalls this era, when ingenious engineers were surpassing one another in every technical domain.
During this period, by combining an automatic movement with the principle of antimagnetic protection, IWC technicians succeeded in making a watch simple on the outside, and extremely refined and solid on the inside, to withstand the most testing conditions. That’s why, since 1955, the Engineer has carried the technical symbol of the lightning flash.
The caliber 8521 movement first used in the Engineer was replaced by the caliber 8531, and then again in 1976, for the introduction of Gerald Genta’s
famous "Engineer SL"
with the caliber 8541 (production of about 800 pieces in automatic version).
At the start of the 1980s, the Engineer lost weight, and gained a slimmer mechanism along with a legend-to-be: the Engineer "millionmeter" dial.
, IWC readied the Engineer for a world record
. With an escapement in anti-magnetic materials (containing neither iron or nickel), the watch was tested to 3,7 million A/m
in a tomograph with a nuclear magnetic resonance (3000 pieces went on sale under the name “500,000 A/m Engineer").
Engineers that qualified for the ”Chronometer”
certificate were then put on sale in a box lined with soft iron.
Since then, several variations have been added to the Engineer family:
• The "Chrono Alarm"
• Extra light version with titanium box
• Pocket watch
with magnetic field protection
• A ladies’ chronometer
Among the essential external features:
• Round lunette with five perforations
• Integrated metal bracelet
All of these distinctive signs are apparent on the 2005 Engineer models.