Restoration of the clock and its works
1493Gian Paolo Ranieri, from the Reggio Emilia region, and his son Gian Carlo were hired by the Doge of Venice, Agostino Barbarico, to design a clock for installation in Venice’s St Mark’s Square.
1st February 1499The Tower and the Clock were inaugurated. The Ranieri family became its custodian and repairer.
1549Girolamo Ranieri, the son of Giancarlo, left Venice. His successor sold a few pieces of the mechanism and the clock no longer worked.
1551Giuseppe Mazzoleni, from Padua, repaired the clock.
1757A major restoration was done by Bartolomeo Ferracina, from Bassano, who replaced the original deadbeat escapement mechanism with a pinwheel. The clock became a pendulum clock.
1858Luigi De Lucia performed a second major restoration of the clock, adding a major support to the pendulum mechanism, which was adjusted to indicate the exact time. The clock was decreed the official timekeeper for all the clocks in Venice.
1916Emilio Peratoner was named the repairer-custodian of the Tower. A curfew was set for the City of Venice and the 132 tolls of the bell at noon and midnight were stopped. To this day, the mechanism has never been reactivated.
1936-1945Following the death of Emilio Peratoner, his wife Beatrice took over the job of custodian, until her younger son, Giovanni, could return from prison in Poland.
1945Giovanni Peratoner, clock maker and repairer, took over the family responsibility.
1950Giovanni Peratoner perfected the pendulum’s suspension and performed a general revision of the mechanism which lasted several years.
1986At Giovanni's death, his only son, Alberto, Doctor in Philosophy, took on the responsibility as custodian-repairer.
1996The City of Venice decided to perform a general restoration of the clock and chose Piaget as its partner.
1997Piaget sponsored the restoration of the clock’s mechanism. The firm Cav. Alberto Gorla began disassembling the clockwork, and the main machinery was restored.
1998The hour elements were restored as were the enamel faces (the north and south faces of the clock, hour drums, decorated metal doors), the metal elements (the bronze Moors and the bell) and the polychrome wooden sculptures (The Magi and the Angel with the trumpet).
September 1998The executive restoration project of the tower, drafted by the architects Giorgio Gianighian, Matteo Pandolfo and Alberto Torsello, was approved by municipal resolution no. 1570/111793.
Disputes with the owners of various buildings neighbouring the Tower blocked the project for a long time.